What is the course about?
This course will introduction you to the core skills of pattern cutting, enabling you to use basic blocks to create simple patterns. You will learn how to drape on the stand and how to extract a pattern from your design and reproduce it in toile fabric.
Is a pre-enrolment interview or assessment required for this course?
What level is the course and do I require particular skills, experience or prior qualifications?
This course is for beginners. Basic sewing skills are desirable but not essential.
What topics does the course cover?
- Using a standard size pattern block to draft simple patterns (skirt or top)
- Basic manipulation techniques to create a variety of styles
- Use balance marks, grainlines and other technical information
- Making and using toiles as part of the process of creating a finished pattern
How will I be taught and assessed?
Through demonstrations, discussions, workshop practice, one to one instruction and guidance.
Are there any other costs or equipment I need to get?
Pattern cutting materials will be provided. Please bring a notebook, pen and pencil
By the end of the course what should I be able to do?
- to use a standard size pattern block to draft simple patterns (skirt or top)
- to use basic manipulation techniques to create a variety of styles
- to use balance marks, grainlines and other technical information
- to make and use toiles as part of the process of creating a finished pattern
What are the progression opportunities following this course?
You can develop your skills further on one of our short courses or take an accredited course in fashion starting in September.