What is the course about?
This course covers the skills required to create drawings and paintings carried out from observation and through visual enquiry. You will learn how to use art materials and processes and how to organise a pallet.
Is a pre-enrolment interview or assessment required for this course?
What level is the course and do I require particular skills, experience or prior qualifications?
The course is suitable for beginners and those with some previous experience
What topics does the course cover?
- The use of tone, value, line and colour
- Structuring a painting and how to plan a composition
- How to use materials and processes associated with drawing and painting
- The work of other artists and how this can inform creative decisions
How will I be taught and assessed?
You will be taught by demonstration, practical application, one to one tuition and group discussion.
Are there any other costs or equipment I need to get?
There are no additional costs. All materials are included.
By the end of the course what should I be able to do?
- Make accurate representational drawings from observation
- Plan a balanced composition and edit an image
- Use the works of others to provide ideas and stimulation for further enquiry
- Prepare surfaces and use materials and processes to support creative decisions
What are the progression opportunities following this course?
You can develop your skills or knowledge on one of our specialist short courses, or take an accredited course in Fine Art starting in September.