What is the course about?
This Level 1 NCFE award is a 10 week course that will introduce you to the basic graphic design skills and an understanding of the main principles of graphic design, giving a strong foundation for progression into further study.
Is a pre-enrolment interview or assessment required for this course?
Yes, please contact our customer services before enrolling.
What level is the course and do I require particular skills, experience or prior qualifications?
This is a Level 1 course aimed at beginners with a keen interest in the subject.
- A minimum level of E3 Functional Skills in English and Maths is required for this course.
- You will also need to have good basic computer skills for this course which has significant computer-based content. We use Apple Macs, but skills are easily transferable for PC users
- If you wish to move on to a Level 2 course, you will be advised to study Functional Skills, Level 1 English alongside this course.
What topics does the course cover?
There are 4 units on this course that will cover the following within one main project brief:
- You will explore a range of graphic design elements, materials and terminology and will identify suitable techniques and processes in response to a given design brief
- You will explore the contexts in which graphic design solutions are produced and identify influences in the development of graphic design solutions
- You will use a range of sources to inform ideas in response to the design brief and will use visual techniques to propose alternative ideas in response to feedback and constraints. You will also develop an idea using different ways of working.
- You will plan for production of their final work using developed ideas. Learners will produce their final work showing a basic level of skill using materials and techniques. You will also review the whole design process.
How will I be taught and assessed?
This course is delivered 1 day per week for 10 weeks, with a combination of face-to-face, studio practical skills, plus directed study time. The course will introduce you to Graphic Design through discussion, projects, group work, demonstrations, and practical exercises.
Are there any other costs or equipment I need to get?
The full ADOBE CC suite and MICROSOFT OFFICE SUITE including TEAMS are available to you FREE while you remain on the course. You must have a suitable computer to run the Adobe Suite so you can complete homework and online content at home. You must be able to download, install and work via Microsoft TEAMS. You will be provided with a sketchbook, but you need to purchase a USB stick or portable hard drive for you to take your digital work home (at least 10 GB).
Other costs include an investment in your time to complete self-directed study outside of the tutor led activities, around 4-6 hours per week.
By the end of the course what should I be able to do?
You will understand how to work to a project brief, make creative decisions, and develop a portfolio of design work.
What are the progression opportunities following this course?
You can progress to the Level 2 UAL Diploma in Graphic Design or Level 2 UAL Diploma in Creative Media which start in September.