What is the course about?
Practice and develop life drawing skills with guided exercises and expert tuition in a specialist art studio. Working from a nude model each week, you will explore methods and techniques of drawing in a range of media Ideal for both beginners and more experienced artists.
Is a pre-enrolment interview or assessment required for this course?
What level is the course and do I require particular skills, experience or prior qualifications?
This course is suitable for all levels.
What topics does the course cover?
Working from the model you will:
- Work from a variety of poses of long and short duration using different lighting set ups and scenarios
- Explore mark making, composition, light and shadow, proportions, gesture and expression
- Learn how to manipulate different mediums, such as pencils, charcoal, ink and pastels, professional practice working in a specialist studio and the use of easels
How will I be taught and assessed?
The teaching is structured to be informative and stimulating, the level of challenge gauged to meet the needs of individual learners. Teaching methods will include presentations, demonstrations and handouts, group exercises and discussions, individual tuition, and supportive feedback.
Are there any other costs or equipment I need to get?
Basic materials are provided for the course including paper, pencils and charcoal.
By the end of the course what should I be able to do?
- Produce drawings using correct proportions
. - Use a variety of mark-making to describe the figure and explore form
- Use tone to manipulate light and dark
- Demonstrate a variety of drawing mediums to represent the nude
- Use a range of drawing media safely and effectively
What are the progression opportunities following this course?
You can develop your skills or knowledge on one of our specialist short courses, or take an accredited course in Fine Art starting in September or April.