What is the course about?
Exploring the unique qualities of oil paint through the use of different methods and techniques. This course, for mixed ability levels, allows the opportunity to create compositions through visual enquiry and close observation. Learn how to structure a pallet and mix colour values and tones that relate to a subject. Explore the application of thick and thin layers of paint and the importance of planning and structuring a composition.
Is a pre-enrolment interview or assessment required for this course?
What level is the course and do I require particular skills, experience or prior qualifications?
All levels are welcome, from beginners to improvers.¿
What topics does the course cover?
- Use of oil paint to create a range of visual effects
- Colour mixing and use of value, colour and tone to represent visual appearance
- Observing a subject and recording acurate visual relationships
- Structuring a composition through visual enquiry
- Organising a pallet and preparing a painting surface
How will I be taught and assessed?
Taught using demonstration and practical application. Learners will receive feedback on progress from the tutor regularly with one-to-one and group discussion.
Are there any other costs or equipment I need to get?
Essential materials are provided for this course, unless you wish to paint on canvas, which you will need to provide yourself.
By the end of the course what should I be able to do?
- Use oil paint confidently to communicate visual phenomina and specific ideas.
- Know how to mix colour values, tones and organise a simple pallet.
- To be able to plan a composition and edit the complexities of a visual subject.
- To understand materials and some of the processes associated with oil painting.
- To apply viewpoint and use the work of others to support creative outcomes.
What are the progression opportunities following this course?
You can develop your skills or knowledge on one of our specialist short courses, or take an accredited course in Fine Art starting in September.