Skip to main content
Learner Services

Fees & Funding

We aim to make learning available to everyone. Our fees are structured to ensure our courses are accessible to all parts of the community.

Please note, we no longer accept cash payments. Please contact us if you need any help with this.

Course Fees

Fees are found against each of the courses listed on this website along with concessionary rates where applicable.

Free Courses Available

Residency Requirements

British Citizen

Or have settled status in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme (depending on the course funding criteria)

Or have one of the following immigration statuses:

  • Refugee status
  • Discretionary leave to enter or remain
  • Exceptional leave to enter or remain
  • Indefinite leave to enter or remain
  • Humanitarian Protection

International Learners

International learners pay a higher fee because government funding does not cover the cost of your learning. You will be classified as an overseas/international learner if you have not been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years preceding the start of your course or if you have any restrictions on your stay. A visa does not constitute ordinary residence. If you are unsure of your status and for details of course fees, please check with our enrolment staff on 020 7297 7297.

Funding Requirements

On means-tested benefits:
We need to see evidence received within the past 3 months and it must be in the learner’s name.

Or earn less that the London Living Wage (for Greater London residents) or National Living Wage (for those living outside Greater London)
The London Living Wage is currently £25,642.50 annually as of 24 October 2023.
The National Living Wage for those aged 21 and over is £22,308 annually as of April 2024.
We need to see evidence received within the past 3 months and it must be in the learner’s name.

Or for free Level 3 provision, must not have any qualification at Level 3 or higher
The course must be on the list of funded courses provided by the GLA or ESFA.

Documentation Requirements

Depending on British Citizenship, a combination of the below documentation will be required:

  • ID – for example, passport, UK driving licence
  • Proof of visa or settled status – for example, passport, visa letter
  • Proof of 3-year residency – for example, entry date information
  • Proof of British Citizenship – for example, passport, birth certificate

Advanced Learner Loans

Advanced learner loans are available for individuals aged 19 or above to undertake approved qualifications at Levels 3 to 6 at an approved provider in England. These loans give you access to financial support for tuition costs similar to that available in higher education and are administered by Student Finance England. You can find out more at

Infographic to apply for the Advanced Learner Loan
What are the benefits of the loan?
  • You can start studying immediately but will only have to start paying back the loan when you have completed your course, and you are earning more than £27,295 per year.
  • Studying for a qualification can often lead to better career prospects that could offset the cost of studying.
  • The loans do not depend on your current income level and there are no credit checks.
  • Once you have a loan, you can also apply for a bursary to cover any exam and materials fees and you can apply for help with travel costs and childcare.
What is included in a loan?
  • The loan covers your tuition fees, which are paid directly to the training provider on your behalf.
  • There could be additional exam and materials fees, depending on the course, and these won’t be covered by the loan.
  • Once your loan has been approved, you can apply for a bursary to cover these additional fees.
What happens once you start working?
  • When you have completed your studies, the Student Loan Company will inform HMRC. The repayments are made via HMRC.
  • Once you are earning more than £27,295 per year, your employer will deduct the repayments from your salary, the same way that tax or National Insurance contributions are deducted.
Other important things to keep in mind
  • It is important to remember that the Advanced Learner Loan agreement is a contract and contains a number of terms and conditions. It is important that you understand these clearly before you sign up.
  • You also need to keep in mind that you will need to repay any money that was paid to the college or training organisation even if you do not complete the course.
  • You will be charged interest on the loan, so it is important that you understand what the financial implications will be for you.
More information

It is important that you make the right choices taking your circumstances into account before you choose to take out a loan. has impartial advice.

Time credits

Time credits are a community currency that brings people, organisations and businesses together through the sharing of time.

A time credit is earned for every hour that a volunteer gives to their community, which they can spend on an hour an activity that will improve their or their community’s lives. This can be adult education courses, exercise at local leisure centres, family trips to attractions they might not normally be able to afford or even watching a film at a local cinema.

WAES is offering opportunities to spend time credits on our short courses. The Head of Learner Experience will determine if there are places available for time creditors on each course.

The value is calculated as 1 hour’s training = 1 time credit. On some courses, there may be a further charge for materials at the discretion of the Head of Learner Experience.

Time credits cannot be accepted as part payment. If a course does not run, time creditors will be entitled to a full refund in the form of time credits (there is no cash value).

How to spend your Time Credits with WAES:

  • Choose your course from our Short Courses section of the WAES website.
  • Email us at or call 020 7297 7297 to check time credits availability for the course.
  • Visit WAES Lisson Grove Centre to complete your enrolment and pay with time credit vouchers.

Concessionary Fees

Many learners are entitled to full fee remission:

  • If the learner is aged between 16 and 18 on 31 August in the year they start their studies.
  • Learners aged 19-23 who are undertaking a first full level 2, 3 or 4 “jumper” qualification – for this category the age of the learner at the time of application is taken into account.
  • Learners aged 19 and older who are unemployed and are undertaking a course up to level 2 and/or is a dependent of a person in receipt of:
    • Job Seeker Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income Tax Credit (applicable to dependents only)
    • Working Tax Credit (applicable to dependents only)
    • Universal Credit – due to being unemployed and required to undertake skills training.

Course fee instalments

You may be able to pay in instalments for courses that run over two or more terms. Please ask an adviser about paying in instalments when you enrol.


Please see our Fees Policy for information about Refunds, which can be found here.

Phone: 020 7297 7297


The Learner Bursary provides financial support to assist learners aged 19 or above who are experiencing difficulty in meeting the costs associated with their learning.

This includes those who may need a contribution towards:

  • Tuition Fees
  • Examination Fees
  • Course Materials (as identified by course area)
  • Contribution towards travel expenses
  • Breakfast or After School Club
Who can apply for support?

To be eligible for funds from the Learner Bursary, learners must be aged 19 years or older and must be studying an Adult Education Budget qualification course. Learners will also need to demonstrate that they are on a low income or accessing means tested benefits.

Please note that learners enrolled on Community and Cultural Learning, Full Cost or Advanced Learner Loan funded programmes are not eligible to apply.

Eligible learners must be in receipt of one of the following:

  • Income-related benefit such as Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit/Tax Credit, or Income Support
    (Please provide a letter from DWP or Universal Credit dated within the last 3 months).
  • Low household income on or below the London Living Wage plus 10% (£28,206.75 per year, as of 24 October 2023)
    (Most recent payslip dated within the last 3 months).
  • Individual salary on or below the London Living Wage (£25,642.50 per year, as of 24 October 2023)
    Evidence of your payslip which highlights your salary and includes your name, address and either:
    3 x bi-weekly payslips
    2 x monthly payslips
    4 x weekly payslips.

Alongside evidence, we also require a copy of your bank statement which clearly shows your name, address, account number and sort code.

How to apply for the Learner Bursary

In most cases, the application will be completed at the point of enrolment and/or Induction. Learners are entitled to one application and one course only per year. Other applications will only be accepted at the discretion of the Head of Learner Development.

For more information or to apply please speak to a member of staff in the Learner Hub or email

Travel expenses reimbursement

The Learner Bursary provides a contribution towards financial support to those incurring travel expenses as part of their study.

The amount of support for travel is based on the learner’s address, the WAES centre of study and the days that the study takes place.

Contribution towards the cost of travel:

  • For journeys 1 mile and over, a contribution towards bus travel up to £4 per day and a maximum of £9 per week.
  • For journeys involving more than one bus/ tube, a contribution towards travels up to £8 per day and a maximum of £18 per week.
  • In exceptional circumstances, WAES could pay higher.

WAES will not backdate travel and applications will be processed once we have received your full application including evidence.

Learner Bursary Policy
Further information

If you require advice about other sources of financial help, please speak to a Welfare Officer.

Further information is available from the Department for Education.